skip navigation

FC London Go Joint-First In Men's Division After Wilson Puts Two Past Alliance

By Mike Albert, 07/22/18, 4:00PM EDT


Two goals from prolific striker Connor Wilson put him top of the League1 Ontario Men's Golden Boot race with nine scored, leading FC London to a 3-1 result over Alliance United and a joint-first place position in the table.

In the early going, both teams were trying to impose their style play and establish dominance. FC London wanted to play through the middle and then out wide, while Alliance United FC was looking for the opportunity to counter. FC London gradually started to control the possession percentage and the pace of the game.

In the 16th minute,  Alliance United FC Connor McFall was shown yellow for a late tackle. A few minutes later, Alliance United FC was forced to make an early substitution due to an injury to their captain, Lukas McNaughton. Ostap Hamarnyk came off the bench for the away side.

FC London's Jeremy Arnold was able to make a run down the right wing just before the half-hour, and with three Alliance United FC players converging on him crossed a great ball across goal - it was an easy tap-in for Connor Wilson (25') to give the home team a 1-0 lead.

The game was dominated by physical play and in the 27th and 29th minutes respectively, FC London Stephen Al-Sayed and Alliance United FC's Steven Furlano were issued cautions for late tackles.

In the 39th minute,  FC London was given a free kick from just over 30 yards. FC London's Michael Bitell stepped up to the free kick and put a great ball over the wall, but Alliance keeper Mark Rogal made the save.

In the 42nd minute, Alliance United FC earned a free kick as well, but Furlano delivered a short ball that was cleared by the FC London defence.

The first half ended with FC London leading 1-0, with three shots on target (two for FC London and one for Alliance United FC). There 17 combined fouls and three cautions handed out.

As the second half began, Alliance United FC started to high pressure and began to control the possession.

In the 48th minute,  Alliance United FC came close to equalizing with a low strike to the far corner but FC London keeper Anthony Sokolaski's strong right hand was enough to keep the ball out before it was cleared by his defenders.

Alliance United FC continued to have more possession of the ball and hunt for an equalizer. FC London responded to Alliance United FC's attacking pressure quickly, with Mohammad Reza Nafar picking up a loose ball in the 18-yard box and slotting it past Alliance United FC keeper Rogal to increase the FC London lead to 2-0.

Minutes from full-time, FC London's Connor Wilson (85') scored his second of the game to make it 3-0 over Alliance United FC and secured the victory for FC London.

Alliance United continued to show their fighting spirit, however, pressuring the FC London defence and causing a turnover that Alliance United FC's Poliakhov (87') was able to put past Sokolaski and break up his clean sheet.

Physical play continued with three more cautions handed out before the final whistle, but at the sound of it FC London had taken a 3-1 result over Alliance United FC.

FC London will look to continue their five-game regular season winning streak when they host Unionville Milliken SC on July 27 (8:30 p.m.). 

Alliance United FC will look to bounce back from two consecutive losses when they travel to take on Woodbridge Strikers at Vaughan Grove, Woodbridge, on August 12 (7 p.m.).