skip navigation

Gorgees And Dada-Luke Strikes Put Pro Stars Out, TFC III Through To L1 Cup Semis

06/24/2018, 4:45pm EDT
By Johnny Stancati

Toronto FC III defeated Pro Stars FC by a score of 3-0 to advance to the semi-finals of the men's L1 Cup.

In their first home game at the newly renovated Victoria Park Stadium, it was the home side who were on the front foot early.

In the seventh minute, George Owusu found space outside the area and unleashed a rocket of a shot that sailed just over the bar.

Pro Stars should have taken the lead when Owusu rose highest off a corner just minutes later, but sent his header straight into Gianluca Catalano's hands.

TFC III had their first real opportunity of the match on 19 minutes when Jordan Faria had a go from 22 yards out, testing Aaron Peters in the Pro Stars' goal.

Afram Gorgees (33’) stepped up to the penalty mark and slotted home his 7th goal of the season just after the half-hour, putting the visitors ahead after his side won a penalty on a clumsy challenge in the area.

Daniel Bilousov should have doubled his side's advantage within six minutes, when a well delivered free-kick glided invitingly across the face of goal, but the striker sent his effort wide of the post.

It was Kunle Dada-Luke (43') who did grab his side's second goal, stepping up to the spot for the second penalty of the night, placing his effort in the top right corner past Peters.

Referee Braeden Krampert was forced into making a decision when Gorgees flew in with a strong challenge minutes before the half-time break, after already collecting a caution earlier in the half. Gorgees escaped with a final warning and was substituted early in the second half.

At the break, TFC III led 2-0.

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

Pro Stars started the second half similar to the first, but were unable to break through a resilient TFC III defence.

After being sprung down the left wing, Bilousov did well to fire a shot on goal in the fifty-seventh minute, forcing Peters to make another save.

Just after the hour mark, TFC III took a 3-0 lead when Peters attempted to clear a cross, but stood hopeless as his clearance deflected off his defender and back into his own net.

Aleksander Zwierzynski rifled a spectacular effort on the half-volley in the sixty-eighth minute, which was heading for the top corner before Catalano came in with the diving save.

Catalano was busy again when Muhammed Ashim beat his marker on the right and blasted a shot within the area but the TFC III keeper did well to see it over.

The final quarter hour saw a few half chances from both sides as the visitors cruised to a 3-0 victory.

With the win, TFC III advances to the semi-finals of the L1 Cup where they will meet Sigma FC.

Pro Stars will shift focus to league play as they prepare for their next match vs Masters FA on July 7 (8:30 p.m. k.o.) at Victoria Park Stadium.

Tag(s): Home  News  2018 Archive  June