skip navigation

Windsor Stars 1 - Woodbridge Strikers 3

08/28/2014, 2:00pm EDT
By lo admin

Windsor Stars 1 - Woodbridge Strikers 3

Thu Aug 28 
Written By: Ibrahim, Ali

The Stars suffered a 3-1 defeat at home to the Woodbridge Strikers on the weekend, as the Toronto team displayed great composure on the road, and made sure to prevent the home side from dictating terms on the day.

The Stars started with several members sidelined, notably Michael Pio, Stephen Ademolu and Pat Lepera. Woodbridge much of the early proceedings, and it took only eleven minutes for the referee to put a mark on the game, as a Woodbridge striker was brought down in the box. 

Oscar Cordon, the former Toronto FC midfielder stepped up to take the penalty, rifled the ball past the keeper, and put the visitors up by one and in control of the game. The Windsor Stars defence seemed to struggle to come to grips with the early goal.

Woodbridge doubled their lead seven minutes later. Michael Holder shielded the ball in the corner and and created enough space to deliver a cross to the far post. Nicholas Chiarot charged forward and finished the play with a great header.

Windsor started to assert itself before going into the locker room, controlling the ball in the opposition's half and creating chances.

In the thirty-third minute, Stars forward Gino Berardi missed a great opportunity to score and cut the lead in half. A cross from midfielder Brydon Ceasar found the run of Brett Holmberg on the far post, and Holmberg’s layoff allowed Berardi to get a shot off but he could not find the back of the net.

Immediately afterwards, a great series of passing allowed Dragoi to slip a pass through to Berardi’s feet. The forward did well to push the ball into the box, and while the shot was weak, a deflection threatened to beat the keeper. Lack of pace on the ball, however, allowed the keeper to recover.

In the thirty-ninth, the ball dropped kindly to Dragoi just outside the eighteen-yard box. The veteran took one touch and fired a shot towards the top right, but the Woodbridge keeper made a great leaping save to keep the score at 2-0

The half time team talk by the Woodbridge coach seemed to light a spark under his team, with Strikers coming out sharper of the two sides and looking the more likely to score. 

The first breakthrough of the half fell to the Windsor Stars. The Stars had maintained possession after several failed crosses, and their persistence paid off as defender Chris Suta was able to tower over his fellow Woodbridge counter-part and direct a cross into the net.

It took Woodbridge only three minutes to respond to the goal, with midfielder Cordon again displaying a calm poise as his shot just outside the eighteen took a deflection. The Stars' keeper was caught flat-footed, and the ball trickled into the net.

The Stars were clearly deflated after the goal, and Woodbridge slowly tightened their grip on all three points.

Windsor are back in action on Aug 31st at Kia Training Centre vs. Toronto FC Academy, 1 p.m. kickoff. Woodbridge visit Durham United F.C in Kinsmen Park, Pickering on Sept 5th, 8 p.m. kickoff. 


Tag(s): August