skip navigation

Durham Men Find Second Win As Masters And London Post Tidy Wins

By League1 Ontario staff, 07/08/19, 5:30PM EDT


(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Coast 2 Coast Media/ Martin Bazyl Photography)

Durham United FA found just their second win of the season, but it was a convincing one after taking down Pro Stars 5-1 in Pickering. 

Elsewhere, London and Masters found important wins as they look to solidify playoff aspirations. 

Find match briefs, full match video and a selection of high-res photography from match action below!  

(Photo: Coast 2 Coast Media/ Martin Bazyl Photography)

Durham United FA travelled to Victoria Park and ended up taking three points and their second win back with them to Pickering, as they defeated Pro Stars FC 5-1 in Matchweek 10.

The first goal of the match didn’t take long to arrive, as Nigel Buckley (1') scored right off the kickoff with a shot from distance. The tempo of the match just increased with the early strike, as Durham didn't sit back and Pro Stars clearly wanted to answer back quickly.

Both sides traded goals before the 20th minute mark, foreshadowing what was to come.

DUFA's Omari Cotterell (15') doubled his team's early lead, only for his effort to be cancelled out by a goal from Pro Stars' winger Uday Arora (17') within a couple minutes.

Durham striker Barrington Smith (23', 83') was a key performer for his club, being a constant pest in front of the Pro Stars goal. His last goal was the nail in the coffin, as he faked out two defenders and took a shot from the top of the box that bamboozled the Pro Stars keeper.

Despite the scoreline Pro Stars managed to get seven shots on target with none missing the goal. However, that added to the home side's problems, with frustration building after being unable to get that crucial final pass or shot through the defensive ranks.

The win marks Durham's second victory on the season, improving their record to 2W - 6L - 2D. Pro Stars drops to a record of 3W - 5L - 2D.

Pro Stars will next play Oakville Blue Devils on July 13 (7 p.m.) at Victoria Park, Brampton. 

Durham United FA will next play Vaughan Azzurri on July 14 (3 p.m.) at Ontario Soccer Centre Indoor, Vaughan.

(Anthony Gallo)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

The hosts keep all three points in the hometown as FC London breezed past Toronto Skillz thanks to two second half goals from Szyska (55') and Wilson (72').

In a fruitless first half, there were few real chances on goal.

London had two attempts on target, however, with Wilson first forcing Dhaliwal into an early one-on-one save from six yards within four minutes. He received a cute, perfectly weighted pass, threaded through the defence by Chad Gopaul, but couldn't put his shot beyond the Skillz 'keeper.

Within ten minutes London found themselves with another opportunity to score as Connor Wilson caught the goalkeeper off his line with a square pass across the box. The resulting shot was saved on the line by some fantastic last-ditch defending to prevent the hosts from taking the lead.

The action throughout the rest of the first half was stifled by multiple small fouls, which stopped either team from gaining any period of domination. The game was lacking real momentum before the mid-way-mark.

But after the break London came out with all guns blazing and really looked like the only team capable of winning the game after starting to show their strength at both ends of the field.

The home side eventually took the lead on 55 minutes, but in controversial circumstances leading to ironic cheers for VAR from the stands. A cross over the top from the left side found Szyszka in acres of space near the far post, and his effort connected beautifully and thundered beyond Dhaliwal into the goal.

Toronto Skillz players were convinced that the ball had entered through a hole in the side netting and should be chalked off, but after a few minutes deliberating the officials decided the goal should stand.

An undeniable second goal followed before too long though; the goalscorer-turned-provider, Szyszka, this time provided a grass-cutting cross into the six yard box that was pounced on by Wilson (72') to tap-in his fifth goal of the campaign and double the lead.

The win ensures London are still the only men's team in League1 without a draw this season after ten games played.

FC London will next play Woodbridge Strikers on July 12 (8 p.m.) at German Canadian Club, London.

Toronto Skillz will next play North Mississauga SC on July 14 (6 p.m.) at Birchmount Stadium, Toronto.

(Andy Goddard)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

Two second half strikes from the Saints made all the difference in their 3-1 win over the visiting North Mississauga Panthers on Saturday night at L'Amoreaux Sports Centre in Scarborough. 

The early evening heat seemed to generate a slow tempo after the opening whistle, with a cautious opening ten minutes of the match.

It was Masters FA that took advantage of their first real opportunity in the game with a hard shot by Adam Czerkawski (16') that was mishandled by the Panthers' keeper to give the Saints a lead.

For much of the rest of the half North Mississauga enjoyed more possession of the ball, but were kept from developing good chances by a very physical Masters' side.

The Panthers finally had their break when Luca Pacheco dribbled into the top of the box and rolled the ball back to Ali El Zeir (38'), who shot a rocket past Saints' keeper Spiridon Koskinas to tie the game.

With play resuming for the second half, North Miss again enjoyed an edge in possession, but were unable to do anything with it.

Masters made the most of their chances, first with a close chance as a shot low across the box beat keeper Jared Maloney but was saved Panthers Saleman Salim, who kicked the ball up and into the crossbar, away from goal.

The break for the Saints finally arrived with a cross by Reshaun Walkes across the six yard box that Shaquille Agard (68') headed into the net.

Although North Miss pressed and looked for a way to tie the game, their hopes were sunk when Agard took a shot on net that Maloney initially stopped, but the rebound fell to Anthony Wright (88'), who fired it past the downed Panthers keeper.

With the win, Masters record improves to 6-2-2 and 20 points, putting them in fourth place after Matchweek 10.

North Mississauga falls to 4-4-2, good for 14 points for the season, and sit in eighth.

Masters will next play Alliance United FC on July 13 (8 p.m.) at L'Amoreaux, Toronto.

North Mississauga will next play Toronto Skillz FC July 14 (6 p.m.) at Birchmount Stadium, Toronto.

(Daniel Evans)