skip navigation

Vaughan Goes Top Of Table, Alliance Drops North Miss And OSU, Unionville Finish In Stalemate

By League1 Ontario staff, 07/02/19, 2:45PM EDT


(Photo: F10 Sports/ Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

Alliance United and Vaughan SC found important wins on Matchday Three of Matchweek Nine, with Vaughan taking over first place in the division and Alliance moving into a joint-fourth place position. 

Elsewhere, Unionville and OSU Force couldn't find a way past each other, forced to share the points after a 1-1 deadlock. 

Find match briefs, full match video and a selection of high-res photography from match action below! 

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

A strong second half from Alliance United was the difference as the hosts battered visitors North Mississauga by a final score of 7-1.

The first half started with both sides enjoying decent spells in possession but finding it difficult to turn that possession into goal scoring opportunities.

Alliance would pick up their tempo after ten minutes and would come close to breaking the deadlock in the 14th minute, when Giantsopoulos saw her strike from 15 yards pushed wide by Cardorelli.

They didn't need to wait much longer until their goal came however, when in the Brough (19') found herself through on goal and made no mistake from close range.

Alliance would further solidify their lead when Pasqualitto (27' pk) converted from the spot, striking the ball down the middle of the goal and sending Cardorelli the wrong way.

North Mississauga would pull one back almost at the stroke of half-time when in the Cassandra Briscoe (42') headed the ball into the back of the net.

The second half started in similar fashion to the first - in which both teams enjoyed spells of possession without creating much. It took 13 minutes for the first big chance of the second half to come when in the 58th, Alliance smashed a free kick off the crossbar.

Shortly after, Alliance began their goal parade as Sousa-Sampson (64') scored her first of the match to make it 3-1. Substitute Lamanna (73') made it 4-1 from a neat first post finish inside of the box before Tarantino (85', 87') scored a double.

Gosse (90') would finish the goal fest off with Alliance's seventh, scoring off a breakaway after getting slipped through from a teammate.

Alliance United will next play DeRo United on July 6 (5 p.m.) at L'Amoreaux Sports Centre, Toronto.

North Mississauga will next play Hamilton United on July 5 (7:45 p.m.) at Paramount Fine Foods Centre, Mississauga. 

(Alex Bizzarri)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

Each side got a hard-earned point as Unionville Milliken S.C.'s Shana Flynn (21') had her goal cancelled out by OSU Force's Niborile Dlamini (80') just ten minutes before the final whistle.

Unionville had a better first half but could only create one real scoring chance, which was taken perfectly. On 21 minutes, an Imman Elberdi pass put Shana Flynn in an almost one-on-one situation with the keeper and she sent the ball into the back of the net with a low finish.

OSU Force started the second half aggressively. Their main plan was getting in behind the opponent's defence, but it did not work out for them as they were caught in offside positions three times.

In the last 15 minutes, the visitors pushed even higher and were finally rewarded on the 80 minute mark as two of their substitutes combined for a goal. Marissa Gravel put Niborile Dlamini through on a low pass to beat the keeper with a precise finish.

The host was on the verge of losing the game as OSU Force went close with two more big opportunities: on 83 minutes Shannon Phee rattled the bar, and five minutes later Marion Taiwo was denied by Unionville keeper Marissa Zucchetto in a one-on-one situation.

Unionville Milliken S.C. will next play Aurora FC on July 6 (7 p.m) at Stewart Burnett Park, Aurora.

OSU Force will next play Vaughan Azzurri on July 6 (1:30 p.m) at Quinn's Pointe, Ottawa.

(Mahdi Ghaffaribarzi)

(Photo: F10 Sports/ Martin Bazyl Photography)

Vaughan Azzurri SC defeated Durham United FA 5-1 to go top of the league courtesy of a hat-trick from forward Faber (20', 22', 68').

The game first broke loose in the 20th minute when Faber sent a thunderous strike into the keeper's hands that proved to be too strong for the keeper to hold as it bobbled into the net.

Minutes later, Faber would score once again after a great display of technique from fellow forward Pais, who sent in a perfect cross.

Pais was electric throughout the match, using her speed and dribbling to get behind defenders with ease. Durham would get one back when Iozzi (38' pk) converted from the penalty spot, the penalty being awarded for a mistimed tackle by a Vaughan defender.

Early in the second half, Vaughan created a great string of play to send a player through on goal. The keeper did well to save the initial strike, but eventually the ball trickled in for a goal off a DUFA defender.

Faber would complete her hat-trick after a composed finish from the edge of the opposing penalty area. Pais was then finally awarded with a goal when she tucked a strike into the bottom corner and sealed the game off at 5-1.

The visitor's defensive pressure and their sharp bouts of possession proved to be too much for the hosts, and Vaughan jump into first place with the result.

Durham United FA will next play FC London at Kinsmen Park on July 7 (2 p.m.).

Vaughan Azzurri SC will next play OSU Force at Quinn's Point, Ottawa on July 6 (1:30 p.m.).

(Robin Chawla)