skip navigation

Masters Goes Third, Aurora And Durham Win Big On Matchweek 7 Saturday

By League1 Ontario staff, 06/16/19, 5:00PM EDT


(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

Masters Saints made it five wins in seven matches after taking down Windsor in Matchweek 7 men's division Saturday action. 

In the women's division, Aurora FC soundly defeated North Mississauga SC to pick up their first win of the season, while the 2018 League1 Women's Division Champions, Durham United FA, found their stride in a 3-0 defeat of De Ro United.

Find match briefs, full match video and a selection of high-res photography from match action below!  

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

Master's FA defeated Windsor TFC 3-1 in a rainy Saturday match at the University of Windsor Stadium.
Goals for Masters FA came from Ameyaw (27', 47') and Czerkawski (56') while Windsor TFC's goal came
from Sto (84').

Masters FA started off strong having many opportunities to score but were blocked by Windsor TFC's
defence. Meanwhile Windsor TFC had very few chances. One near goal came from a lobbed cross by
Master FA, but the ball was headed just wide of the post.

Windsor TFC's biggest chance in the first half came from Noah Pio, who had a breakaway chance, but it
was stopped by Masters FA's keeper, Spiridon Kaskinas in the 20th minute. Only seven minutes later, Francis
Ameyaw (27') scored his first goal of the game by breaking through Windsor TFC's defence, tipped the
ball wide of the keeper, and put the ball into the back of the net.

Windsor TFC thought they had a lucky goal in the 32nd minute when Pio took a hard shot at the keeper
who fumbled it. However, the ball went just wide of the net.

The teams were pretty even for the rest of the half leaving the halftime score 1-0 for Masters FA.

Early into the 2nd half, Ameyaw (47') scored his second goal of the game putting the ball right between
the legs of Windsor TFC's keeper. Under 10 minutes later, Masters FA's Czerkawski (56') scored a lovely
header off a corner kick. This gave Masters FA a 3-0 lead.

Windsor TFC still fought hard throughout the half. Nameer Sto (84') was able to put Windsor TFC on the
board after driving the ball low and hard into the net. Unfortunately, it was too little too late as Masters
FA were able to maintain the score of 3-1.

Masters FA's key player of today's match was Francis Ameyaw, who, only playing 68 minutes was still able
to score two goals for his team. Windsor TFC's key player was Noah Pio who had many dangerous
opportunities and many great runs.

Windsor TFC will next play Vaughan Azzurri at McNaughton Turf Field, Vaughan on June 23 (3 p.m.). 

Masters FA will next play Darby FC a L'Amoreaux Sports Complex, Toronto on June 22 (8 p.m.).

(Kristina Brooks)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

In women's League1 action, Aurora FC soundly beat North Mississauga 12 - 0 at Stewart Burnett Park, Aurora on Saturday.

Both teams had yet to win a game so far this season, so both came in looking to gain a vital three points.

Yet it was all one-way traffic as Aurora managed to outplay their opponents completely and come away with a 12-0 win over North Mississauga.

The scoring started early, and ended late in this match with goals coming from a variety of Aurora players: Chochol (4', 18', 31', 54', 67'), Bouak (7'), Bejleri (42'), Shears (43', 52', 78', 86’, and Al-Kas (57').

Despite the high score of the game, the North Mississauga goalkeeper Cardorelli was also able to make fourteen saves. She saved her team from being scored on more as she made diving saves left and right all throughout the match. Similarly, the entire North Mississauga team did not give up the fight throughout the entire ninety minutes. They went into each tackle looking to win and tried to take advantage of every scoring opportunity they achieved.

Aurora started off the match strong scoring two goals in the first ten minutes of the match. Chochol scored her first by redirecting a cross from the right into the bottom left of the goal.

Bouak doubled Aurora's lead in the seventh minute when, on a breakaway, she slotted the ball into the bottom right of the goal. Chochol managed to complete her hat-trick in the 31st minute of play.

Bouak made a great run down the left and took a shot that was saved by the North Mississauga goalkeeper Cardorelli. On the subsequent corner, Chochol found herself on the end of it and was able to direct the ball into the right of the goal.

North Mississauga had a chance on goal after they were awarded a corner kick after a mistake by the Aurora goalkeeper, Phillips. Aldoori of North Mississauga managed to get her head on the end of the cross but the ball curled around the right post out for a goal kick.

Bejleri’s goal came after a superb save by Cardorelli left a rebound to the left of the goal that Bejleri managed to beat the defender and the goalkeeper to slip into the open goal.

Aurora FC will next play FC London on June 22 (7 p.m.) at Stewart Burnett Park, Aurora.

North Mississauga next play Vaughan Azzurri on June 23 (noon) at McNaughton Turf, Vaughan. 

(Deanna Persico)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

Durham United took all three points with three unanswered goals against DeRo United in their League1 Ontario women's fixture Saturday at L'Amoreaux. 

The visitors were clinical in front of the goal - making full use of their chances and not wasting time finding an opener. Goalkeeper Alyse Patinios saved a long-range effort in the opening seconds of the game, but Calaigh Copeland (1') followed the loose ball and found the net with a tap-in. 

Durham United found their second goal with a similar poacher's effort. Maddie Iozzi took a direct free-kick from the edge of the box, but her shot was blocked. Stasi Torchia (37') was at the right place in the right time and coolly shot the ball into the net to give a comfortable lead to her side before half-time. 

To be fair on DeRo, they were level with Durham on number of shots (five) and had three corners (their opponents had none). But while Durham was pragmatic in their approach, DeRo could not convert their chances. 

Right after the interval, Durham found another goal, again through exploiting similar defensive lapses at DeRo. A long and high ball caught DeRo goalkeeper and defense off-guard, and Diarra Simmons (50'), who was introduced into the game in the dying seconds of the first half, capitalised on the situation and put the game to bed. This was Simmons' fourth goal this season. 

The remainder of the game saw DeRo try to hold onto possession, hoping to find cracks in the opposition's defence, but a physical Durham side were also compact and did not allow many chances to be created. 

The win means Durham are now on 12 points from seven games and are in fifth place as DeRo remained on 10 points in six outings and are in eighth position. 

Durham United FA will next play OSU Force on June 22 (1:30 p.m.) at Quinn's Pointe, Ottawa.  

DeRo United will next play Unionville Milliken SC on June 18 (9 p.m.) at Vaso Field, Oshawa. 

(Cetin Yilmaz)