skip navigation

North Mississauga Shutout FC London, While Vaughan, Sigma Just Get Past Their Opponents

By League1 Ontario staff, 05/19/19, 8:45PM EDT


(Photo: Michael Fayehun / Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Michael Fayehun / Martin Bazyl Photography)

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

Maksym Kowal's two-goal performance was just enough to see the reigning league champions grab three points over a resilient Darby FC side.

North Mississauga and their fans travelled to London and came back home with a hard-fought 1-0 victory to see off last years regular season champs.

Noah Jenson's strike before the first-half closed out was all Sigma FC needed to hold off Master's FA.

Find match briefs, full match video and a selection of high-res photography from Sunday's match action below!  

(Photo: Michael Fayehun / Martin Bazyl Photography)

Coming off their mid-week Canadian Championship clash with HFX Wanderers, hosts Vaughan Azzurri defeated Darby FC 4-3 to earn their second win of the season.

Vaughan striker Maksym Kowal (45’,65’) had a day to remember, as he earned his first two goals of the 2019 campaign in a match his side needed heading into their second-leg matchup with Halifax on Wednesday May 22 at 6 p.m.

The Azzurri however, found themselves down early, thanks to Darby FC’s Matthew Morris (25’) who was on the receiving side of a nice cross from the left side of the box put it past Vaughan keeper Matt George.

The early deficit didn’t put down the reigning champs, as Duemerci Yuma (36’) headed home a cross past the Darby keeper to level the match.

After Kowal dribbled his way into the box to give his side the lead right before the halftime whistle, Vaughan started to come alive and created some great scoring opportunities and pinned their opponents deep.

The second-half provided some thrilling moments, as both teams went back-and-forth in the span of 10 minutes.

Vaughan’s Raheem Rose (60’) placed a well timed shot on net from distance, only to be outdone by Darby’s Stefan Lamanna (62’). The deficit went back to two goals thanks to a penalty kick converted by Kowal in the 65th.

Darby made it interesting with less than 10 minutes remaining when LeRohne Young (84’) pounced on a scramble in front of the Vaughan goal to put his team down by one. However, it wouldn't be enough for his side.

After their midweek matchup with Halifax in the Canadian Championship, Vaughan will be back on the road to take on Toronto Skillz on Saturday May 26 at 2 p.m.

As for Darby FC, they will host co-leaders Alliance United on Thursday May 23 at 8:45 p.m.

Michael Macri

(Photo: Martin Bazyl Photography)

North Mississauga remain unbeaten as they head back home up the 401 with all three points from thanks an early goal from Saleman Salim (7’) gave the away team a narrow 1-0 victory over FC London.

The goal did not come without contention. Tipped in from close range from a corner, FC London players protested to both the near linesman and referee, insisting that the ball had been snatched out of their goalkeeper’s hands.

Despite the game’s only goal coming in the first half for the visitors, they enjoyed most of the first half chances, forcing London's keeper and man of the match Anthony Sokalski into an impressive display which kept the home side in contention right to the final whistle.

The fans at both ends of the field played their part in today’s exciting encounter, with a contingent of them making the journey down the highway. 

Both sets of fans erupted into fine voice just after half time as the two teams re-emerged, setting up a great atmosphere for the remainder of the game.

Tensions rose in the latter stages of the game, seeing several strong tackles from North Mississauga go unpunished, while London searched for a late equaliser, which never came.

London’s next chance to return to winning ways is away at OSU Force next Saturday May 25 at 5 p.m.

As for North Mississauga, they will battle it out with fellow men's leaders Prostars FC on Saturday May 25 at 7 p.m.

Andy Goddard

(Photo: Michael Fayehun / Martin Bazyl Photography)

Sigma FC defeated Master’s FA Saints in a tight 2-1 victory Saturday night at L’Amoreaux Field.

The visiting Sigma FC jumped out to a very quick lead with a goal by Simon Triantafillou (2’) who was able to get a loose ball in the box and blast it by Master’s FA keeper Daniel Gosciniak.

Early pressure from Sigma continued in the first 10 minutes of play before Master’s FA found their footing and began to get on the attack themselves.

Master’s answered right back in the 27th minute thanks to pressure from Triston Frankson.

Frankson managed a left-sided shot that found the top right corner past Sigma’s Baj Maan to level the score.

Before both teams could head back to their locker rooms for the second half, Sigma struck again in the 42nd minute through a Noah Jensen shot from 20 yards out that again beat Master’s FA’s Gosciniak.

Although the temperatures dropped on a chilly May night, the action heated up in the second half with a number of chances at both ends and an increasingly physical game that featured three cautions and twenty-nine fouls between the two teams.

Gosciniak made a key save to keep Sigma from increasing their lead midway through the second half.

Although Sigma FC faced significant pressure in the closing minutes of the game from the hosts Master’s, including a header that went just wide in stoppage time, they managed to hold on to their first-half lead to see the game out to a 2-1 final.

With the win, Sigma FC move to 2-1-0 on the season, tied with four other clubs on six points. Master’s FA first loss of the season leaves them with a 1-1-1 record, and in eight spot – right behind Sigma.

Master’s FA Saints look to get back to winning ways when they next face Durham United FC Saturday May 25 8 p.m at L’Amoreaux Field.

Meanwhile, Sigma returns home for a Thursday May 23 match at 9 p.m against Aurora FC at Paramount Fine Foods Centre.

Daniel Evans